Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

All Settings Are READ-ONLY, Network Connection To \public Fails, Box Is Accessib...
Reply with quote Download Post 
Post All Settings Are READ-ONLY, Network Connection To \public Fails, Box Is Accessible By PING And Web Interface 

Still anyone home? I know this box is ancient and sucked big time...

After years of (slow) storage service the box is acting up on me now, and I can't find a way to access the data anymore:
Hardware:
- 35-HD-DUAL-NAS
- 2x SATA 500GB from Maxtor as RAID0, ext2
- FW G5S52233211, all standard settings

I can ping the box under Windows just fine, but can no longer map drives to its share ("network not accessible", Vista, XP..). Sometimes I can see the \public folder under Vista Networks, but cannot access it either.
I tried to ftp through command window, can get in but do not 'see' anything, but then: my manual FTP knowledge is rusty.

Also I can access the box through the browser, see all settings (eg an odd EMPTY DNS field in LAN settings). But CANNOT change the settings. Well, I can change anything I want, save it (without errors thrown), but it will not stick and show and use the old values anyways. The default LAN settings make no sense, eg. it insists on the hard coded (empty) DNS while using a 'soft' IP, the checkmarks will not change however I try. Same for anything else like user settings, name of box, FTP settings etc.

Both drives and RAID0 are reported to be fine, SMART is on and no real errors occurred, the SCAN funcion button does not work (no action, bug?). I tried to save settings, it 'did' something but where IS this config.tar file now? Have no older ones on hand either to see what may be wrong.

A factory reset will probably destroy the RAID0, or? Reflash the same FW, or another one?
What is wrong with this box, where does it try (and fail) to store its settings?
How to fix and access the data again?
990GB of dangling data, quite uncomfy right now.

Thanks for any useful hint!
m

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: All Settings Are READ-ONLY, Network Connection To \public Fails, Box Is Accessible By PING And Web Interface 

Hi,

Did you check if the SMB Server is activated ?
When Yes did you try to uncheck and check it again after 10 seconds and verified if in the logs it is somenting written ??

Patou

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: All Settings Are READ-ONLY, Network Connection To \public Fails, Box Is Accessible By PING And Web Interface 

Thanks, but too late; I do recall that SMB was active and the system log was written to.
Oddly all was reported 'OK', yet the \public folder could not be opened from remote locations.

Since I did not get any answers to my two help pleas I bit the bullet and rebuilt the NAS with the same disks after a reformet.
At 3MB/sec and 916GB of data the process is ongoing for weeks now, at 4hr a day..

What worries me more is that I will never know WHY this happened and if it can occur anytime AGAIN.
Sort of defies the purpose of a backup data system.
m

Back to topPage bottom

mw210461 wrote: [View Post]
Thanks, but too late; I do recall that SMB was active and the system log was written to.
Oddly all was reported 'OK', yet the \public folder could not be opened from remote locations.
m

Hi M,

Next time it will happen again (hope not!), try to connect on the NAS via Telnet...use root login and your paswword..
Then move to your public directory and check the rights given on the HDD.
And verify in the smb.conf file which rigts are given to the public folder...

Patou

Back to topPage bottom

Hi Patou,
I am back earlier than anticipated because:
after rebuilding about 60% of the NAS it behaves odd again!
Suddenly I do not have WRITE ACCESS, (Access denied) to my folders, it started in the middle of the restore transfer.
I seem to be able to delete folders, could create another after a reboot, then the problem returns.
Sort of how the original collapse started.

Not being familiar with TELNET I am not sure what exactly I should look for?
Despite their little runtime I suspect that in fact one or both drives may be the root cause, but there are no SMART error indicators as far as I can tell.
What is happening in this NAS box, why is it doing this?

I am about to dump the entire NAS enclosure and drives into the trashcan.
Any ideas and specific suggestions, or pointers to helpful instructions?
Thanks!
m

Back to topPage bottom

Hi,

Do you have access to the NAS via the WEB Gui ??

I don't know what kind of Computer/OS you have.. I have Windows 7 or XP...
Telnet can be used to acces folders and files on the NAS that are not accessible via the share of the NAS.. You have to use in telnet linux commands to search and verifiy the folders you are sharing. I don't know if you know some basics in linux..

For using TELNET:
You need to verify if your telnet client is installed or not.. In Windows 7, open a Command line prompt, type just telnet.. If Windows tell you that the software does not exist then type following to install it... pkgmgr /iu:TelnetClient .
After installing or if it exist you must know the IP Adresse of your NAS or its Name given at installation .
In the same windows command window type telnet <IP Address of the NAS> (should be something like 192.168.1.XX) or tpe telnet <name of NAS>.
Thhen it will prompt to give a login. here you write root . then you have to give a password, enter here your password you use to connect to the NAS via the Web Gui. If successfull, you see on the left the IP Adresse you type in or the name of the NAS and a line written with busybox v1.0.x. After this you have to use Busibox linux commands to move to the folders you share to verify their rights...

But before you do this, Did you check your drives if there are any bad sectors on it using a test software from the manufacturer itself  ? Here a Link to Seagate Tools to test your Maxtor drives (Seagate has bought Maxtor 2 or 3 years ago..). You can find there a guide which explains how to do...The best way is to put the disk in a USB-External Enclosure and the start the program provided by Seatools..

Do your 2 drives have the same firmware or not ? (you will see this when you start the software from Seagate)
I had a similar issue for one of my disks in my 35HD-DUAL-NAS-E there fimware were different and the NAS did not work properly with one of them.. I updated the 2 disks at the same firmware and after this everything went fine...

That's all for today.. Next reply from me would be only in 8 days because I'll go on holidays for a week on monday...ANd have no Internet where I go..

Wish you good luck

Patou

Back to topPage bottom