Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

Adding New Hard Drive On Existing NAS
Reply with quote Download Post 
Post Adding New Hard Drive On Existing NAS 

Hi everybody,  

Actually, I have installed a single 500 GB Maxtor Hard drive on my two NAS. I'd like to add a second 500 GB Hard drive on every NAS.
I don't need RAID or JBOD for both of them..

If I install the new drive, is there something to change in the config of the NAS before installing the new HDD or do I simply need stop the NAS, connect de new Hard Drive, start up again the NAS and then format it with the utility from the NAS?

On one NAS the actual HDD is installed as ide3 and on my other NAS the actual HDD is installed as ide4. Does this make a difference ?

Thanks for your quick reply..

Patou

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Adding New Hard Drive On Existing NAS 

Hi ,

To explain more what I want to do :
I have actually one 500 GB HDD installed on the NAS.
Can I add a second drive without using Raid or JBOD function and without loosing all my data stored on the first disk ?
If Yes, when I add the second drive how can I access then the data on the second drive using Windows Explorer ? OR does the NAS show all the folders from disk 1 and 2 when I access on the NAS via Windows EXplorer ?

Thanks for your help and experience
Patou

Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Adding New Hard Drive On Existing NAS 

Hi guys,

No one could give me an answer so I installed the second drive in the NAS.
I formatted it in EXT2. After formatting to 100%, the web gui blocked with the message format 0% and nothing more happened. I decided (after 15 Minutes) to restart the NAS but the web gui still remains at the same point in the Menu "Basic Mode".
After 3 Restarts, the new HDD was recognized as formated in EXT2.
The Samba server created then a new share called ide4 which does not appear in the share management but is accessible on the lan for everyone and via FTP.

I don't want this. Everytime I reboot the NAS it deletes the share ide4 and creates the same again...
I changed via telnet the rights of the share ide4 but they'll be reset by default again by the NAS each reboot..
How can I make the changes I made to be persistent even when the NAS has been rebooted ? Do I have to create a script and where do I have to copy it on the NAS ?

Other question:
In the Web Gui I have no more the possiblity to change spindown time... Which file or script on the NAS does have the parameters to spindown the HDD ?

Thanks for your help.
Patou

Back to topPage bottom