Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

[Guide] Replacing The Quad NAS Fan
Reply with quote Download Post 
Post [Guide] Replacing The Quad NAS Fan 

Better late than never , Im going to give an idiot proof guide to replace the main fan on the quad nas which is just a tad below vacuum cleaner level  Rolling Eyes Anyway its pretty safe and shouldent damage your NAS but whatever the hell you do keep your fingers above the plastic cover thats a PSU without a case down there  Shocked

Ok as you can see im replacing the NAS fan with a much quiter  Arctic Cooling AF 8025L It rotates at half the rpm which isnt a problem in ireland with the giganas in a garage (32c HDD tmp) but if its going in the living room get something with a higher CFM .

So starting off take out all hard disks and unscrew the 6 case screws at the back of the unit , Pull out the back to reveal three connections . A molex connector , The PSU outputs for the power swich and the LCD cable .

Unplug all three paying particular attention to the PSU output it connects directly to the PSU board grab the plastic case to remove it .

For refrence here is a picture of the dismantled unit

And here is the motherboard .

Moving on unscrew the 6 motherboard screws while holding the board by its side

Pull back the motherboard to reveal the back of the motherboard and the fan , Notice the two connections here the fan and the reset swich unplug those and set the motherboard face down on the springs .

For refrence here is the back of the motherboard with the storlink chip .

Now remove the old fan by unscrewing the 4 fan screws and keep box it incase you have to swich back .

Something to watch out for here , This particular case fan is designed to be placed face out of the computer case if you dont check your system while its powered on you could install the fan the wrong way round . Screw in the 4 fan screws making sure to keep excess wireing to the left of the case where there is free space .

Time to put everything back togeather again , Make sure you secure the riser card in its slot before you put the motherboard back or youll have to start again

Reconnect the fan and power swich outputs and put the motherboard back on its 6 mounts , Double check the riser card is sitting right by checking the lan socket on the back of the case , then screw the motherboard back into its mounts .

Sorry about this shot its out of focas , Reconnect the LCD cable .

Reconnect the power socket to the PSU board taking care to only touch ist plastic case .

Now for the hardest part plug in the molex connector as in the photowith the power input On Front of the molex wires . Then tuck the molex wires into the gap between the PSU and the bottom of the case . This is importent because the case wont close of the molex output isnt in this space it might take a few tries.

Allmost there line up the top of the board with this notch and insertthe back of the case . Ok were not done yet just plug the power coard into the back of the case then into the powser socket and flick the swich your nas should start to boot gently slide the case back until the back of the motherboard is exposed .

Put your finger on front of the fan to check its the right way round you should feal air being blown into the case if not you have to start over ... If not plug in your drives and enjoy .

Hers a video of the new fan in action , Youll need the divx codec to view it .

http://rapidshare.com/files/194875152/NAS.avi

Last edited by TheRealfrahn on Friday, 06 February 2009, 23:19; edited 1 time in total 
Back to topPage bottom
Thanks for the useful Topic TheRealfrahn:
streetd (26 October) 
Post Re: [Guide] Replacing The Quad NAS Fan 

Good guide !!

Here's the stats on the fan that comes with the nas:
Evercool EC8025M12E
Max airflow: 25.02 CFM
RPM: 2500
Noise: <28 dBA
Bearings: single ball bearing

The Artic Cooling fan above is rated:
Max airflow: 18.0 CFM
RPM: 1500
Noise: 18.0 dBA
Bearings: Fluid Dynamic Bearing

if anyone else performs this mod please list the fan specs you have fitted and if this has any effect, i.e. temperature, blade noise etc.

Back to topPage bottom

Yeah , the difference between the two is minimal after running for 10 -12 hours in the living room (warm) i got a max of 37C versus 34C with the vacuum cleaner .

In the garage its 32C with the Arctic and 30C with the evercool . The noise difference is huge with the case closed and no HDS the Arctic is almost silent so its well worth it for a tenner

Back to topPage bottom

Here's a good list

Back to topPage bottom

I replaced with Tracens AURA Pro -> 9dB (6):

And in probe mesh on the front cover for best HDD cooling:

Tracens AURA Pro:

1400 RPM
16,79 CFM
0,09 A (1,1 W)
9 dBA

Back to topPage bottom

I finally replaced my fan with a...
Scythe "SLIP STREAM" 120mm Case Fan (Standard fan + mountings are 80mm)

I managed to snugly fit it in after a few case mods (i.e. two centre screws on mainboard are removed) and is now completely silent (only hdd noise when drive is spun up)
500 rpm  
24.50 CFM      
7.50 dBA      
0.07 A

Back to topPage bottom

I swapped mine before you posted this guide, just removing the fan cover and replacing it with a normal metal one decreases the noise a lot.

Back to topPage bottom

I was quite shocked when i first turned this thing on .... i simply couldn't believe how noisy it was and in minutes had taken it apart to see what was going on.

I was glad to see it was only the fan, so planned to replace it ..... until i remembered i had a couple of the Noctua speed restricting cables from my Noctua NF-P12 Vortex-Control fan.

Also a very good fix if you have one of these cables spare, you dont really need to use them on Noctua fans as they are ridiculously quiet already  Wink

Back to topPage bottom

mnemonix wrote: [View Post]
if anyone else performs this mod please list the fan specs you have fitted and if this has any effect, i.e. temperature, blade noise etc.

I've had my Quad NAS for 24 hours and already I've decided the fan noise is intolerable  Mad

I fitted a "Pure Silence" fan:- like this one.

No, it isn't silent but it IS extremely quiet. Quiet enough to have the NAS running in the family room with no objections.  Very Happy

Blade noise seems well muted and bearings are ultra smooth. No discernible increase in NAS temperature either.

I got it for the minimal investment of 5.00 (approx $8.00) on e-bay and it has to be the best value for money mod possible on this NAS.

Back to topPage bottom

First at all I am very happy to find that excelent guide.
My main problem is the 3 pin to 2 pin connection.
How do you solve that problem? How can I connect a 3 pin fan to an 2 pin connector?
A simple red to red , black to black connection did`n work for me.
I Hope you can help me out. In the moment no fan is working, so I shut down the NAS.

best regards

Pastille

Back to topPage bottom

I have the same problem.  Most quiet fans are three pin.  Quad Nas need a two pin.  There are adaptors available so did you all use one to get it working?  I was able to power up a three pin fan put it had very little power to it so I put back the original fan.

Back to topPage bottom

Third pin is often YELLOW. This pin is for speed measuring and you may left unconnected. You may just use red (positive) and black (negative) wires.

Back to topPage bottom