Goto page Previous  1, 2

Subject: Re: [HELP] How To Create OPTWARE Instalation Package
DocBrown wrote: [View Post]
dan20 wrote: [View Post]
Thanks for your answer!

Yes the SSH key where created and I got a comfirmation about fix the TEMP.
After restart cant login with SSH/Pytty though. Not sure wheather I have to create keys in PYTTYGEN as well and transfer them to the server. Been using NSLU2 in the past and if I remember correctely, one can skip this just to get things running (getting a secutity warning when logging in).
Reading your answer I realise I have placed the INIT script in ETC instead of in ETC/RC.D
At the moment the optware resides in MNT/IDE3/OPTWARE and the filesystem is there but no action. Also tested to run IPKG as I`m very eager to get MC running.
My test with edeting the script ment I had to do that in Windows thus getting the windows permissions as well. Not to happy about this but my skills i VI are very poor I`m afraid. But as you pointed out this step is unneccessary.
Is it ok to create the /PUBLIC/OPTWARE in Windows?
Trying to do that in telnet I get errors about permissions and not finding the files etc.
Since I been doing the install a couple of times and not getting it right I will do a reinstall of the server to get the filesystem correct.

Sorry bout my poor Telnet/Linux skills but I`m working on it!

Dan

Hi,
you don't have to do anything on the windows side.
Just connect via putty to the NAS, it should work.

After installation all files should reside in /mnt/ide3/optware.

You may try "ls /opt" on the NAS via telnet, this is the directory the init-script maps the /mnt/ide3/optware directory to.
If it doesn't exist, the script wasn't executed properly.
Last thing you could try to check if the script ran on startup may be a "ps w | grep sshd".
If it gives you back the process and not just another "grep sshd" than the ssh-daemon is running on your system.
The output has to show something like this:
1635 root 3492 S /opt/sbin/sshd

You can try to execute the init-script manually and see if you can use the ipkg-command afterwards. (without rebooting)

Another tip might be to use al linux filesystem on the NAS. (eg. ext3)
I don't know if all this works under a fat filesystem.

Hi

Got sorted out!
The problem was the missing RC.D folder. I did a reinstall of the optware and afterwards everything worked fine. MC running IPKG working etc..
I use EXT3 as file sytem on the NAS no question about it ( would bee windows 7 poor support
in that case). Still I can`t reach the Share sytem under windows (SAMBA etc ) and do some file opperations, which I probably should avoid but still...

Very greatful for Youre help
Dan

Profile PM  
Quote:

Start: transmission-daemon -f -B
On /root/.config/transmission-daemon all new folders created by Transmission (setting.json too)
Edit of setting.json to change temp and download dir (default a root folder: no space).

Transmission 2.11-1 work on GigaNas but... on restart /root/.config/transmission-daemon will erased.

Will someone work on it?

Hi,
maybe this might help:
https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/ConfigFiles

As far as I understand it, by default the transmission-daemon stores all config files in the home of the user that executed it.
But you can try to set the TRANSMISSION_HOME variable manually to a place on the HDD.
With: TRANSMISSION_HOME=/mnt/md1/someplace
Than execute the transmission-daemon and look if it has created the files in this folder.

Or you can try to run it as another user e.g. "admin":

First look if this user has a home on the mounted hdd by typing:
"cat /etc/passwd"
as root.

Here is the syntax of passwd described:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/unders...wd-file-format/

You will find this information in the web-interface of the NAS under "accounts" too.

If the "admin"-user has a home on e.g. "/mnt/md1/admin", then login as "admin" via telnet or ssh and start transmission-daemon the usual way.
It should save all the necessary config-files in the admin home home, thus keeping it after a reboot.

If it doesn't work, try to set the $HOME-Variable by hand.
Login as "admin" and type "HOME=/mnt/md1/admin", you could use any other path here that does exist on you hdd.
To see if the variable is set right, type "echo $HOME".
The output should be: /mnt/md1/admin.

Profile PM  
Quote:

Start: transmission-daemon -f -B
On /root/.config/transmission-daemon all new folders created by Transmission (setting.json too)
Edit of setting.json to change temp and download dir (default a root folder: no space).

Transmission 2.11-1 work on GigaNas but... on restart /root/.config/transmission-daemon will erased.

Will someone work on it?

Hi,
maybe this might help:
https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/ConfigFiles

As far as I understand it, by default the transmission-daemon stores all config files in the home of the user that executed it.
But you can try to set the TRANSMISSION_HOME variable manually to a place on the HDD.
With: TRANSMISSION_HOME=/mnt/md1/someplace
Than execute the transmission-daemon and look if it has created the files in this folder.

Or you can try to run it as another user e.g. "admin":

First look if this user has a home on the mounted hdd by typing:
"cat /etc/passwd"
as root.

Here is the syntax of passwd described:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/unders...wd-file-format/

You will find this information in the web-interface of the NAS under "accounts" too.

If the "admin"-user has a home on e.g. "/mnt/md1/admin", then login as "admin" via telnet or ssh and start transmission-daemon the usual way.
It should save all the necessary config-files in the admin home home, thus keeping it after a reboot.

If it doesn't work, try to set the $HOME-Variable by hand.
Login as "admin" and type "HOME=/mnt/md1/admin", you could use any other path here that does exist on you hdd.
To see if the variable is set right, type "echo $HOME".
The output should be: /mnt/md1/admin.

Thankyou Doc, but don't work. Transmission even try to find setting on root.
But this work:
transmission-daemon -f -B -g /mnt/md1/public/applications/transmission/.config/transmission-daemon.

I copy .config folder from root to /mnt/md1/public/applications/transmission.
After restart, telnet and run as up: Transmission start to verify and resume all torrents.

At this point may be usefull a script .sh on /mnt/md1/local/etc/rc.d for autostart... :roll:

Profile PM  
askanio wrote: [View Post]
Installation complete! But now? What useful package?

Depends on what you want to do.
Rsync for example is interesting if you want to do a backup on an external USB-HDD.
Ffmpeg or vlc might be useful for transcoding media for streaming purposes. (don't know if the arm processor is fast enough though)
The ssh-server is already installed and you can use it now for save file-transfer instead of ftp and for login of course. (I turned off telnet completely)
You have the freedom of choice now... :wink:

FANTASTIC!! i lose sleep for many night.

Now, i can get FFMPEG finally on my NAS

...but not work :-( ...run but dumped.

i have tried many options but after few istructions give me core dumped

i think can be configuration options (?).
for example, i have read than enable "lame" options is important and i have not it.

somebody have a idea ??

GigaNAS> ./ffmpeg_test.sh winsat.wmv winsat.mpg
FFmpeg version UNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
configuration: --enable-cross-compile --cross-prefix=/home/slug/optware/vt4/to olchain/arm_920t_le/920t_le/bin/arm_920t_le- --arch=arm --disable-encoder=snow - -disable-decoder=snow --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-gpl --enable-pos tproc --prefix=/opt
libavutil version: 49.6.0
libavcodec version: 51.54.0
libavformat version: 52.13.0
libavdevice version: 52.0.0
built on Feb 21 2010 01:28:49, gcc: 3.4.4

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 1000.00 (1000 /1) -> 23.98 (24000/1001)
Input #0, asf, from '/mnt/ide3/public/media/test/winsat.wmv':
Duration: 00:00:06.0, start: 5.000000, bitrate: 6188 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: wmv3, yuv420p, 1280x720, 5991 kb/s, 23.98 tb(r)
Output #0, dvd, to '/mnt/ide3/public/media/test/winsat.mpg':
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x480, q=2-31, 6000 kb/s, 25.00 t b(c)
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Press [q] to stop encoding
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

NB:
ffmpeg_test.sh = "ffmpeg -i $1 -vcodec mpeg2video -target ntsc-dvd -acodec ac3 -r 25 $2

same options on ffmpeg.exe (win xp) work perfectly

Profile PM  
@askanio

I think you could create a simple script named 30_transmission.sh

#!/bin/sh
transmission-daemon -f -B -g /mnt/md1/public/applications/transmission/.config/transmission-daemon

copy to /mnt/md1/local/etc/rc.d then
chmod +x /mnt/md1/local/etc/rc.d/30_transmission.sh

The script will run at every boot.

P.S. I'm using Transmission official package, installed from
http://www.embeded-systems.net/software.htm
it works great, no need to manual install!

bye
Alberto

Profile PM  
bert9000 wrote: [View Post]
@askanio

#!/bin/sh
transmission-daemon -f -B -g /mnt/md1/public/applications/transmission/.config/transmission-daemon

bye
Alberto

Thank, I'll try.
The original version is 1.72.
With Optware installation and update I've the last version (2.13) with many more information and improved performance. It's the same version that run on Freenas. Try!

Profile PM  
@askanio

#!/bin/sh

bye
Alberto

Don't work... :roll:

Profile PM  
askanio wrote: [View Post]
@askanio

#!/bin/sh

bye
Alberto

Don't work... :roll:

I had same problem with mediatomb autostart. I fixed it using a script to link ipkg startfile script in /etc/rc.d

Eg: with the following script in /mnt/ide3/local/etc/rc.d/ I finally get mediatomb to autostart at every boot.

Code: [Hide]
  1. #!/bin/sh  
  2. ln -sf /opt/etc/init.d/S90mediatomb /etc/rc.d/S90mediatomb.sh 

Profile PM  
Hi there,

I own two of these boxes but for years I've had problem setting them up and using them properly.

I have them both on RAID with 2x 1TB HDDs. I want to use one of them as a remote backup of the other.

I came this thread and would appreciate if you would be so kind as to answer as many of the following queries that you can for me. First of all - Has there been any update of this package.

1- Is the Optware installation on the GIGANAS configurable through a GUI or just telnet.

2- Is there a webserver built into the Optware package mentioned above.

3- Do the cron jobs/ scripts run on startup automatically I understood that there was an issue whereby the startup scripts/ daemons / scheduled jobs did not stick through reboots/ powercycles.

4- NAS to NAS backup- Is this feature available for NAS to NAS backup in different geographic locations without the need for manual intervention. If so, what protocol/ means/ ports are used here.

5- What filesystem would suit this package most.

6- Are the additional packages installed customisable through the webserver?

7- Does it have a disk status monitoring email service.

8- Would this be a better upgrade for someone not so familiar command line/ unix? Im willing to learn but time is severely limited

9- Is the RAID facility built into the above referenced package.

10- Is there a HDD spindown feature inbuilt into this package.

11-Can this package be uninstalled with ease if need be.

12- Where is the software installed on the internal flash or on the discs

13-I need to make 10 copies of a folder on the disc, would Telnet be the best way or samba or ftp. Which would be the quickest + safest.

14- Is there anything from the Synology NAS software that can be used on the GIGANAS as that software is running on Optware as well.

As you may have guessed, my knowledge of command line/ unix/ webservers is rather limited, but I really need to get the two GIGANAS boxes that I have working for remote backup.

Any and every bit of help/ advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Profile PM  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2